SDI Analyzer / MFI Analyzer
The world-wide used ASTM standardized SDI (Silt Density Index) is a simple and cheap test to determine the fouling potential of water. The portable Convergence Inspector SDI Analyzer/MFI Analyzer is a fully automated test device and equipped with a flowmeter, pump, pressure sensor, a temperature sensor and a battery. Next to SDI the inspector also measures the normalized SDI and MFI (Modified Fouling Index), which is a more reliable alternative.
Specifications Convergence Inspector SDI-MFI
Dimensions: 30 x 25 x 18 cm
Weight: 9.5 kg
Data: USB 2.0
Interface: HMI colour touchscreen
Pump capacity: 10 – 300 ml/min
Measuring range: SDI 0 – 6
Measuring range: MFI 0 – 12 [s/L2]
SDI Analyzer / MFI Analyzer
Convergence Industry achieved to develop the first available portable ánd fully automatic SDI Analyzer / MFI Analyzer for doing both Silt Density Index (SDI) as Modified Fouling Index (MFI) tests.
SDI: Silt Density Index
To determine the rate at which particulate and colloid matter will foul membranes, the widely accepted method Silt Density Index (SDI, ASTM D4189) is used. Many (membrane) manufacturers have adopted this parameter and use it amongst other chemical/physical parameters as basis for their guarantee conditions.
The simple test compromises a short filtration cycle on a 0.45 um microfiltration (MF) membrane resulting in a indexed number.
A drawback of the SDI test is the fact that it is difficult to obtain a reproducible and accurate SDI value. Due to this there are often discussions on obtained SDI results. The most important known sources of error are:
- Variable microfiltration (MF) membrane properties
- Varying testing conditions
- Artifact causing parameters such as air bubbles
Therefore, it is recommended:
- To use a standardized membrane filters having uniform and constant properties
- To correct the SDI for temperature and membrane resistance
- To use a very accurate equipment
- To avoid the artifacts such as the effect of the bubbles, filter holder and operation errors
MFI : Modified Fouling Index
The Modified Fouling Index (MFI) is a measure for the fouling capacity of water on (mostly) membrane reactors. The MFI (0.45) has been developed to overcome the main deficiencies of SDI. The advantages of MFI are:
- Accurate measurement to predict feed- and driving pressure
- Temperature corrected
- Linear correlated with colloidal/suspended matter
- Fouling potential of particles <0.45 um is measured
- Applicable for highly fouled feed water
- Not dependent on test membrane permeability
- Applicable for Ultrafiltration (UF) permeate (feed to Reverse Osmosis (RO))
The obtained MFI value is corrected for temperature and pressure and shows a linear relation with colloidal suspended matter concentration.
Convergence Inspector SDI-MFI
The Convergence Inspector SDI Analyzer / MFI Analyzer is a test device that has been designed not only to consider the MFI (0.45) advantages, but also to minimize, if not eliminate, human errors. Due to the software installed the system is capable of measuring the following parameters in one test: SDI5, SDI10, SDI15, SDIv, SDI+ and MFI.
Specifications Filter Cartridge:
Mean pore size: 0.45 um
Diameter: 25 mm, flat
Thickness: 115 – 180 um
Pure water flow: 25 – 50s per 500 ml
Pressure: 91.4 – 94.7 kPa
Bubble point: 179 – 248 kPa